We are all stuck at home for who knows how long. Making food last and keeping meals interesting is getting more and more important. Check out some tips that I use in my kitchen!
- Freeze regular milk, but make sure to take some of the milk out first so there is room for it to expand. You can keep it in your freezer for up to 3 months!
- If you don’t have room in your freezer, buy organic milk. It lasts longer than normal milk. On March 15, I bought some for our other fridge just in case we needed it – but the expiration date isn’t until April 30!
- If you are in the store and can’t find any bread, don’t forget bakeries that are still open and taking orders! I know Lycoming Bakery still is open in the Williamsport area.
- Wrap broccoli and celery in foil in your fridge. It can last up to 4 weeks!
- Keep onions and potatoes in a dark cool place for longer freshness. Just never store them together or they will spoil much faster.
- DON’T wash your produce before placing in the frig. You’ll be surprised how much longer it will last and how long the mold will stay away.
- If you have made a big batch of something delicious and are struggling to finish it, don’t leave it to linger in the back of the fridge for days until it is thrown away. Instead put it in a suitable container, label it with the content and date and pop it in the freezer. Then when you need a fast meal some night, you have it ready to go.
- To keep fresh herbs you can try freezing them in an ice-cube container with olive oil. Then when it is time to cook with it, pop it out of the ice cube container and bam! Fresh herbs ready in hand.
- Did you know you can freeze syrup!? If you have a jar of maple syrup that you don’t use much, you can freeze it! This will prevent it from spoiling and because it has such a high sugar content, it won’t freeze!
- Line the bottom of the crisper drawers in your fridge with paper towels. The paper towels will absorb excess moisture and help keep many foods fresh, rather than rotting prematurely. Plus, it keeps the bottom of your crisper clean and if something does leak, the paper towels will make the cleaning process easy breezy!
Remember to wash your hands and keep your kitchen clean. We are all fighting this COVID-19 pandemic together. Pass some of your tips on to others as well.